Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Me, Genius?

So, I discovered today that my neighbor thinks I'm a genius or something.

She comes over and hands me several pages that look like this:

She says, Could you translate them for my husband's work? They read something like this:


I don't have the slightest idea what that means in English...much less Japanese.

Also, end-of-the-year insanity is in the air. Right now the Forget-the-Year parties keep the streets and bars filled until all hours of the night. I had a Christmas party for work Saturday night and barely survived the train ride home. The next day I had to go into the city early for work and the streets looked like the day after the Apocalypse. No other living creature was out -- it was just me and endless piles of vomit, pools of blood, torn clothes, broken jewelery and all the cigarette butts you could possibly imagine. Damn.

Here is a picture I took on the train ride home from my party. Everyone looked this way.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

Wow, when you party, you really party..

The one on the left has broken a tooth tip edge and the guy on the right is inspecting his magnetic particle. And neither of them can hold their demension limits very well.

Kappa no He said...

You are awesome, make me laugh outloud everytime. I had to go out and wave a flag and help the school kids cross the road this morning and the guy who asked for the translation drove by yelling out the window something as he almost plowed into an oncoming car. I just shouted, "I haven't a clue. But I'll try!"

Virginia Lee said...

Oh. Technical specs. How, erm, dull. You'd think they'd ask you to translate something scandalous just out of consideration. Something about Tom Cruise's secret Japanese love child or Dick Cheney's life as a drag queen or something.

Oh well.

Now girly, you be careful with that partying! *stern mama look* Don't make me come over there! :D I'll want to have some fun too!

Mary Witzl said...

Poor you, do I ever sympathize! I got asked to do translations too -- things that even a seasoned translator not an expert in the given field would have turned down. You have to wonder just how much common sense some people have... I have translated school reports, doctoral theses, children's books, speeches, magazine and newspaper articles, and death certificates (I kid you not: for pedigreed dogs). I would not even attempt that document from your neighbor!

As for the post-party wild stuff, I used to take the Keihin Kyuko every day, and during the holidays I always thought of it as the Keihin Puke-o. Honestly, some of the things I saw I can't even write about. And I can write about just about anything.